Home to the University of Texas Longhorns since 1924, the Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, with a seating capacity of 100,119 is heralded as the largest football stadium in the state, and 5th largest in the NCAA. In 1923, former UT athletics director L. Theo Bellmont (the west side of the stadium is named in his honor), along with thirty student leaders, presented the idea of building a concrete stadium to replace the wooden bleachers of Clark Field to the Board of Regents. Upon its completion in 1924, the first unit of the stadium consisted of the east and west stands with a seating capacity of 27,000.
Longhorn fans take great pride in their home stadium, enjoying pre-game celebrations outside of it hours before the game time. Some dedicated fans have even been known to camp outside of the stadium the night before a game!
In 1996, the stadium was named after the legendary coach who led the Longhorns to three national championships and several Southwest Conference titles. The student body dedicated the stadium in honor of the 198,520 Texans — 5,280 of whom lost their lives in the first World War. On November 12, 1977, a small granite monument was unveiled and placed at the base of the statue, during the TCU-Texas game. The ceremony rededicated Texas Memorial Stadium to the memory of all alumni in all American wars.
Texas Memorial Stadium is conveniently located near many downtown and University area attractions, the famous music scene, fabulous restaurants and established and popular neighborhoods.